Friday, March 16, 2012

Day 4 - Solo Ride from Kolkata to Land of Thunder Dragon

Day 4
05/11/2011
The day four. When I woke up for a min I cud not realized where am I. Then I realized I am far away from home in a foreign land. :P The clock showed me it’s 6.10 in the morning so it’s 6.40 in Bhutan. Hurry Up…
Within 30 mins I dressed up and packed my luggage, I was not sure if I will come back to Thimpu or head for Paro at the end of the day depending on the road condition and time. I had little snacks with a cup of tea and bid good bye to my fellow hotel owner, she told me to come back very soon and told she will be worried about my journey, so kind of her!!

Thimpu Landscape

The Ride
Today I am about to head for Punakha Valley. The valley was warmer than the other valleys in Bhutan. The road towards Punakha starts from the hill opposite of the city. From there I got a good view of total Thimpu valley, I scolded myself why in the previous night I didn’t come here, huh! After that I am about to cross the check post but saw no one who wish to stop me and check my papers so I revved and zoomed past the check post. The road was not so good but is manageable. Stopped here and there took some photos and within some time reached the fog-braced place called 108-Chortens. This place is known for the 108-Chortens(Stupas) like Buddhist monuments.

108 Chortens

I was frightened to take out my camera in between that fog. My riding jacket felt like wet. So covered my Lens and started clicking. There I met a older couple from Mumbai who were enjoying Bhutan in their honeymoon trip. Liked their spirit so had some chat with them and again hit the road after around 1 hour. Then I felt the height is decreasing as I came near the valley and after sometime reached the destination – Punakha. Had lot of photos of Punakha Dzong and near by areas and roads. The Dzong was too big too cover alone. I tried to reach every corner but after finishing two building I was damn tired, the steps to reach the top of the Dzong is too steep. When I was busy clicking shots of the place an official of DRDO, India came to that Dzong for a visit he was curious seeing my attire. Of course it was not his fault. Who expects a guy wearing riding jacket and knee guard inside a Dzong? We had a little chat and he gave me his number to contact for any trouble in Bhutan.


Punakha Dzong


Yo!! m so Happy!!

Then around 2 pm had my lunch and headed for Wangdue. But it started raining heavily and the temperature was dropping drastically while riding so I had to head back. I had a wish to stay at Thimpu but ended up at Paro that day being totally drenched. I stayed at the Hotel Tandin. The hotel owner gave me the double bed room for only Rs. 250/- she was too kind and again it was ‘she’ indeed. That evening was not good for me. Felt bit feverish so had my dinner bit early followed by a calpol and went to bed. Will decide tomorrow where to go!! Good Night..

7 comments:

Ghumakkar Punit said...

Wow! My dream is to ride someday to Bhutan...waiting... :)

Bhaskar said...

Thanks Puneet.. If any help is needed just drop me a mail. Will try to help you out..

cfp123 said...

wow….
chennaiflowerplaza.com

Bhavana said...

cute pics of (ahem!) the bike...:):)

Anonymous said...

Lovely…
saadepunjab.com

Unknown said...

This is really interesting…
keralaflowerplaza.com

Unknown said...

It’s a lip smacking platter
Gujaratonnet.com

Post a Comment